at the Sixth Annual Conference of the Canadian Association for Suicide
Prevention, Banff, Alberta, October 11-14, 1995, (c) Oct 1995. First made
available on the Internet on January 19, 1996.
1. Hendin H. Psychodynamics of suicide, with particular
reference to the young. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1991; 148:
2. Division of Injury Control, Center for Environmental
Health and Injury Control, Centers for Disease Control. Childhood injuries
in the United States. ADJC (American Journal of Diseases of Children),
1990; 144: 627-646.
3. Holinger PC. The Causes, impact, and preventability
of child hood injuries in the United States, AJDC (American Journal
of Diseases of Children), 1990; 144: 670-676.
4. Blumenthal, SJ. Youth suicide: the physician's role
in suicide prevention. JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association),
1990; 264: 3194-3196.
5. Fikar, CR. and Koslap-Petraco, M. Pediatric Forum:
What about gay teenagers? AJDC, 1991; 145: 252.
6. Prenzlauer, S., Drescher, J., and Winchel, R. Letter:
Suicide among homosexual youth. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1992; 149:10.
7. Snelling, LK. Letter to the Editor re #4. JAMA,
1991; 265: 2806.
8. Garland, AF., and Zigler, E. Adolescent suicide
prevention. American Psychologist, 1993; 41(2): 169-182.
9. Petersen, AC., Compas, BE., Brooks-Gunn, J., Stemmler,
M., Ey, S., and Grant, KE. Depression in adolescence. American Psychologist,
1993; 41(2): 155-168.
10. Berman, AL., and Jobes, DA. Suicide prevention
in adolescents (age 12-18). Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior,
Spring, 1995; 25(1): 142-154.
11. Lipschitz, A. Suicide prevention in young adults
(age 18-30). Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Spring 1995;
12. Brent, DA., and Perper, JA. Research in Adolescent
Suicide: implications for training, service delivery, and public policy.
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviors, Summer 1995;25(2): 222-230.
13. Wagner, BM., Cole, RE., and Schwartzman, P. Psychosocial
correlates of suicide attempts among junior and senior high school youth.
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Fall 1995; 35(3): 358-372.
14. Moscicki, EK. Epidemiology of Suicidal Behavior.
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Spring 1995; 25(1): 22-35.
15. Kennedy, Hubert. Ulrich: The Life and Works
of Karl Heinrich Ulrich. Alyson Publications, Inc., 1988.
16. Symonds, John Addington. Sexual Inversion:
A Classic Study of Homosexuality. Dell Publishing Company, N.Y., 1984.
Originally published in 1928 but written before 1893 when Symonds died.
17. Ellis, Havelock. Sexual Inversion. In: Studies
in the Psychology of Sex, Vol. 1, Random House, N.Y., 1948. First English
copyright in 1905. First published in Germany in the late 1890s.
18. Martin, Del, and Lyon, Phyllis. Lesbian Woman.
Bantam Edition, N.Y., 1972.
19. Young, Allen. Out of the Closet, Into the Street.
In: Out of the Closet: Voice From Gay Liberation. Jay, Carla, and
Young, Allen, eds. Jobe/HBJ Books, N,Y., 1972, 1978,
20. Hellquist, Gens. Our friends are dying. Perception,
Vol. 11,Issue 2, March 10, 1993, p. 8.
21. Bell, Alan P., and Weinberg, Martin S. Homosexuality:
A Study of Diversity Among Men and Women. Simon and Schuster, N.Y.,1978.
22. Bell, Alan P., Weinberg, Martin S., and Hammersmith,
Sue Keifer. Sexual Preference: Its Development in Men and Women.
Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Ill., 1981.
23. D'Augelli, AR., Hershberger, SL. Lesbian, gay,
and bisexual youth in community settings: personal challenges and mental
health problems. American Journal of Community Psychology, 1993;
24. Gibson, P. Gay and Lesbian Youth Suicide. In:
Feinlieb, MR., ed. Vol. 3: Prevention and Intervention in Youth Suicide,
Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide, U.S. Department
of Health & Human Services, 1989.
25. Hammelman, TL. Gay and lesbian youth: Contributing
factors to Serious attempts or considerations of suicide. Journal of
Gay and lesbian Psychotherapy, 1993; 2(1): 77-89.
26. Herdt, Gilbert, and Boxer, Andrew. Children
of Horizon: How Gay and Lesbian Teens Are Leading a New Way Out of the
Closet. Beacon Press, Boston, Mass., 1993.
27. Magnuson, Curtis. Lesbian and gay youth in
Ottawa: the importance of community, 1992. Available from Pink Triangle
Services, Ottawa. Also available as a Master's thesis, Carleton University,
28. Martin, AD., and Hetrick, ES. The stigmatization
of the gay and lesbian adolescent. Journal of Homosexuality, 1988;
29. Proctor, CD., and Groze, VK. Risk factors for
suicide among gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth. Social Work, 1994;
30. Remafedi, G. Adolescent homosexuality: psychosocial
and medical implications. Pediatrics, 1987; 79(3): 331-337. 31. Remafedi,
G., Farrow, JA., and Deisher, RW. Risk factors for attempted suicide in
gay and bisexual youth. Pediatrics, 1991;87(6): 869-875.
32. Roesler, T, and Deisher, RW. Youthful Male Homosexuality.
JAMA, 1972; 219(8): 1018-1023.
33. Rotheram-Borus, MJ., Hunter, J., and Rosario,
M. Suicidal behavior and gay-related stress among gay and bisexual male
adolescents. Unpublished Manuscript, Columbia University. Data and
results summarized in #35, p. 265, 267.
34. Saunders, JM., and Valente, SM., Suicide risk
among gay men and lesbians: a review. Death Studies, 1987; 11: 1-23.
35. Savin-Williams, RC. Verbal and physical abuse
in the lives of lesbian, gay male, and bisexual youth: Associations with
school problems, running away, substance abuse, prostitution, and suicide.
Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1994; 62(2): 261-69.
36. Schneider, SG., Farberow, NL., and Kruks, NK.
Suicidal Behavior in adolescent and young adult gay men. Suicide and
Life-Threatening Behavior, 1989; 19(4): 281-394.
37. Uribe, V., and Harbeck, KM. Addressing the needs
of les bian, gay, and bisexual youth: The origins of PROJECT 10 and school-based
intervention. In: Harbeck, Karen M., ed. Coming Out of the Classroom
Closet. Haworth Press, Inc., Binghampton, N.Y., 1992, pp. 9-28. Also
published in the Journal of Homosexuality, 1992.
38. Harry, Joseph. Sexual identity issues. In: Davidson,
Lucy, and Linnoila, Martku, eds. Vol. 2: Risk Factors for Youth Suicide,
Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide, U.S. Department
of Health & Human Services, 1989.
39. Bagley, C., Wood, M., and Young, L. Victim to
abuser: mental health and behavioral sequels of child sexual abuse in survey
of young adult males. Child Abuse & Neglect, 1994; 18(8): 683-697.
40. Bagley, Christopher(1994). Personal communication,
October/November, 1994, and October, 1995.
41. Rotheram-Borus. MJ. Suicidal Behavior and risk
factors among runaway youths. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1993;
42. Stiffman, AR. Suicide attempts in runaway youths.
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 1989; 19(2): 147-159.
43. Money, JM. Juvenile suicide in secure detention
facilities, correction of published rates. Death Studies, 1989;
44. Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, Ga. Attempted
Suicide Among high school students - United States, 1990. JAMA,
1991; 266(14): 1911-1912.
45. Smith, K., and Crawford, S. Suicidal behavior
among "normal" high school students. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior,
1986; 16(3): 313-320.
46. Schaffer, D., Vieland V., Garland A., Rojas, M.,
and Underwood, M. Adolescent suicide attempters. JAMA, 1990; 264(24):
47. Bradford, Judith, and Ryan, Caitlin. The National
Health Care Survey. The National Lesbian and Gay Health Foundation,
Wash., D.C., 1988.
48. Tremble, B., Schneider, Margaret, and Appathurai,
C. Growing up gay in a multicultural context. In: Herdt, Gilbert. Gay
and Lesbian Youth. Harrington Park Press, Binghampton, N.Y., 1989.
49. Erwin, Kathleen. Interpreting the evidence: competing
paradigms and the emergence of lesbian and gay suicide as a "social fact."
International Journal of Health Services, 1993; 23(3): 437-453.
50. Martin, A. Damien. The stigmatization of the gay
or lesbian adolescent. In: Schneider, Margaret S. Often Invisible: Counselling
Gay & Lesbian Youth. Central Toronto Youth Services, Toronto, Ont.,
1988, pp. 59-69.
51. Rich, CL., Fowler, RC, and Blenkush, M. San Diego
suicide study: comparison of gay to straight males. Suicide and Life-Threatening
Behavior, 1986; 16(4): 448-457.
52. Murphy, Bianca Cody. Educating mental health professionals
about gay and lesbian issues. In: Harbeck, Karen M., ed. Coming Out
of the Classroom Closet. Haworth Press, Inc., Binghampton, N.Y., 1992,
pp. 229-246. Also published in the Journal of Homosexuality, 1992.
53. Steel, CS., and Gyldner, CA. Identifying and meeting
the needs of gay and lesbian adolescents in Family Therapy. The Canadian
Journal of Human Sexuality, 1993; 2(1): 1-12.
54. O'Brien, CA., Travers, R., and Bell, L. No
Safe Bed: Lesbian, gay and bisexual youth in residential services.
Central Toronto Youth Services, 1993.
55. Simpson, B. Opening Doors: Making substance
abuse and other services more accessible to lesbian, gay and bisexual youth.
Central Toronto Youth Services, 1994.
56. Shifrin, F., and Solis, Mirtha. Chemical dependency
in gay and lesbian youth. In: Weinstein Dava L. ed. Lesbian and Gay
Men Chemical Dependency Issues. Harrington Park Press, N.Y., 1992.
57. Kus, RJ. Alcoholism and non-acceptance of gay
self: the critical link. Journal of Homosexuality, 1988; 15(1/2):
58. Kus, RJ. Alcoholism in gay and lesbian communities.
In: Kus, Robert J. Keys to Caring: Assisting Your Gay and Lesbian Client.
Alyson Publications, Inc., Boston, Mass., 1990, pp. 67-91.
59. Martin, AD. Chapter 7: Learning to hide: the socialization
of the gay adolescent. In: Feinstein, Sherman, et al., eds. Adolescent
Psychiatry: Developmental and Clinical Issues, 1982; 10: 52-65.
60. Troiden, RR. The formation of homosexual identities.
In: Herdt, Gilbert, ed. Gay and Lesbian Youth. Harrington Park Press,
N.Y., 1989, pp. 43-73.
61. Minton, A., and MacDonald. Homosexual identity
formation as a developmental process. Journal of Homosexuality,
1984; 9: 99-103.
62. Hetrick, ES., and Martin, AD. Developmental issues
and their resolution for gay and lesbian adolescents. Journal of Homosexuality,
1987; 14: 26-44.
63. Staples, David. Blown Out: Bobby Steele's Nirvana
death wish. The Edmonton Journal, September 3, 1994: D-1-5. A comprehensive
synthesis of Bobby Steele's life and death is given in The Gay, Lesbian,
and Bisexual Factor in the Youth Suicide Problem(107).
64. Pilkington, NW., and D'Augelli. Victimization
of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth in community settings. Journal of
Community Psychology, 1995; 23: 34-57.
65. The Massachusetts Governor's Commission on Gay
and Lesbian Youth. Making Schools Safe for Gay and Lesbian Youth: Breaking
the silence in schools and families. Education Report, February 25, 1993.
Publication No. 17296-60-500-2/93-C.R. In: Remafedi, Gary, ed. Death
by Denial: Studies of suicide in gay and lesbian teenagers. Alyson
Publications, Boston, Mass., 1994, pp. 151-205.
66. Cotton, Paul. Attacks on homosexual persons may
be increasing, but many 'bashings' still aren't reported to police. In:
Medical News and Perspectives, JAMA (Journal of the American Medical
Association), Vol. 267(22), 1992.
67. Herek, Gregory M., and Berill, Kevin T., eds.
HATE CRIMES: Confronting Violence Against Lesbians and Gay Men.
Sage, Newbury Park, CA, 1992.
68. Peterson, Cynthia. A queer Response to Bashing:
Legislating Against Hate. Queen's Law Journal, 1991; 16(2): 237-260.
69. Stermac, Lana E., and Sheridan, Peter M. Anti-Gay/Lesbian
Violence: Treatment Issues. The Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality,
Vol. 21(1), 1993.
70. Treadway, L., and Yoakum, J. Creating a safer
school environment for lesbian and gay students. Journal of School Health,
71. Schneider, Margaret S. Often Invisible: Counselling
Gay & Lesbian Youth. Central Toronto Youth Services, Toronto, Ont.,
72. Forward, Susan. Toxic Parents; Overcoming their
hurtful legacy and reclaiming your life. Bantam Books, N.Y., 1989.
73. Tanney, Bryan. Suicide prevention in Canada: A
national perspective highlighting progress and problems. Suicide and
Life-Threatening Behavior, 1995; 25(1): 105-122.
74. Committee on Adolescence, American Academy of
Pediatrics. Homosexuality and adolescence. Pediatrics, 1993, 92(4):
75. Kourany, RF. Suicide among homosexual adolescents.
Journal of homo-sexuality, 1987; 13: 111-117. 76: Hunter, J. and Schaecher,
R. Stresses on lesbian and gay adolescents in schools. Social Work in
Education, 1987; 9(3): 180-190.
77. Remafedi, GJ. Adolescent homosexuality issues:
Issues for pediatricians. Clinical Pediatrics, 1985; 24: 481-485,
78. Coleman, E., and Remafedi G. Gay, lesbian, and
bisexual adolescents: A critical challenge to counselors. Journal of
Counselling and Development, 1989; 68: 36-40.
78. Sobocinski, MR. Ethical principles in the counseling
of gay and lesbian adolescents: Issues of autonomy, competence and confidentiality.
Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 1990; 21(4): 240-247.
79. Eaton, Susan. Gay students find little support
in most schools. The Harvard Education Letter, 1993; 76-78.
80. Sears, JT. Helping students understand and accept
sexual diversity. The Education Digest, 1991; 57(4): 53-55.
81. Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders. Child
and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 1993; 2(3).
82. Gershick, Zsa Zsa. Virginia for students. The
Advocate, Sept. 7, 1993: 86-87.
83. Bagley, C., Bolitho, F., and Bertrand, L. Mental
Health Profiles, suicidal behavior and community sexual assault in 2,112
Canadian adolescents. To be published in Crisis 1995/1996.
84. Kinsey, Alfred C. Sexual Behavior in The Human
Male. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 1948.
85. Donovan, JM. Homosexual, gay and lesbian: defining
the words and sampling the populations. In: Minton, Henry L. ed. Gay
and Lesbian Studies. Harrington Park Press, N.Y., 1992, pp. 27-47.
Also published in the Journal of Homosexuality, 1992.
86. Gonsiorek, JC., Sell, RL., and Weinrich, JD. Definition
and Measurement of sexual orientation. Suicide and Life-Threatening
Behavior, 1995; Supplement 25: 40-51.
87. Herdt, Gilbert. "Coming Out" as a rite of Passage:
a Chicago study. In: Herdt, Gilbert. Gay Culture in America: Essays
From the Field. Beacon Press, Boston, Mass., 1992, pp. 29-67.
88. Diamond, M. Homosexuality and bisexuality in different
populations. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 1993; 22(4): 291-310.
89. Dewitt, Philip. Now the truth about Americans
and sex. Time, Oct. 17, 1994: 46-54.
90. Billy. J.O.G., Tanfer K., William, R., and Klepinger,
DH. The sexual behavior of men in the United States. Family Planning
Perspectives, 1993; 25(2): 52-60.
91. Berman, Alan L., and Jobes David A. Adolescent
Suicide Assessment and Prevention. American Psychological Association,
Wash., D.C., 1991.
92. Hendin, Herbert. Suicide In America. W.W.
Norton & Company, N.Y., 1982.
93. Hendin, Herbert. Youth suicides: A psychological
perspective. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 1987; 17(2):
94. Hendin, Herbert. Suicide In America. W.W.
Norton & Company,N.Y.,1995.
95. Holinger, PC., Offer, D., Barter, JT., and Bell,
CC. Suicide and Homicide Among Adolescents. The Guilford Press,
96. Pfeffer, Cynthia R., ed. Suicide Among Youth:
Perspectives on Risk and Prevention. American Psychiatric Press,
Wash., D.C., 1989.
97. Rabkin, Brenda. Growing Up Dead: A Hard Look
at Why Adolescents Commit Suicide. McClelland and Stuart, Toronto,
98. Sudak, HS., Ford, HS., and Rushforth, NB., eds.
Suicide and the Young. John Wright PSG, Inc., Mass, 1984. The case
references to suicidal homo-sexual adolescents occurred in Chapter 22,
Group counseling for Suicidal Adolescents, by Charlotte P. Ross
and Jerome A. Matio, pp. 367-391.
99. Suicide in Canada. Health and Welfare Canada,
100. Suicide in Canada. Health and Welfare
Canada, 1993. Unpublished.
101. Suicide in Canada. Health Canada, 1995.
102. Moscicki, Eve K., Muehrer, P., and Potter, LB.
Introduction to supplementary issue: Research Issues in suicide and sexual
orientation. Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior, 1995; 25: 1-3.
103. Muehrer, P. Suicide and sexual orientation;
A critical summary of recent research and direction for future research.Suicide
and Life-Threatening Behavior, 1995; 25:72-81.
104. Shaffer, D., Fisher, P., Parides, M., Gould,
M. Sexual orientation in adolescents who commit suicide. Suicide and
Life-Threatening Behavior, 1995; Supplement 25: 64-71.
105. Remafedi, G., Resnick, M., Blum, R., and Harris,
L. Demographic of sexual orientation in adolescents. Pediatrics,
1992; 89(4): 712-721.
106. Working Groups, workshop on suicide and sexual
orientation. Recommendations for a research Agenda in Suicide and sexual
orientation. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 1995; 25: 82-88.
107. Tremblay, Pierre J. The Gay, Lesbian, and
Bisexual Factor in the Youth Suicide Problem. Personally published,
November, 1994, with some additions made in April, 1995. Presented to the
Honourable Halvar Jonson, Minister of Education, Province of Alberta. Tabled
in the Alberta Legislature on April 27, 1995.
108. King, Allan, Beazley, RP., Warren, WK., Hankins,
CA., Robertson, AS., and Radford, JL. Canada Youth & AIDS Study.
Health and Welfare Canada, 1988.
109. Money, John. Gay, Straight, and In-Between:
The sociology of erotic orientation. Oxford University Press, N.Y.,
110. Pilkington, NW., and D'Augelli, AR. Victimization
of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth in community setting. Journal of
Community Psychology, 1995; 23: 34-56.
111. Johnson. Pat. Connecting HIV and abuse. EXTRA
West! No. 53, August 24, 1995: 9.
112. O'Grady. Love and fatalism help HIV transmission.
Sidney Star Observer, July 13, 1995: 11.
113. Bell, Ap., Weinberg, MS., and Hammersmith, SK.
Sexual Preference: Statistical Appendix. Indiana University Press,
Bloomington, Ill., 1981.
114. Rotheram-Borus, MJ., Rosario, M., Reid, H.,
Koopman, C. Predicting patterns of sexual acts among homo- and bisexual
youths. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1995; 152(4): 588-596.
115. Green, Richard. The "Sissy Boy Syndrome"
and the development of homosexuality. Yale University Press, N.Y.,